Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Arroz Caldo (with Chicken)

INGREDIENTS

ginger (3-4 slices)
chicken thighs (3 pieces, cubed)
1/2 c rice
1/2 c sweet rice
7 c of liquid (1 can of chicken broth + 5 1/2 c water)
garlic powder
fish sauce
oil

DIRECTIONS

1. Sautee ginger slices for a minute or two, in a little bit of oil.
2. Add chicken, garlic powder, and some fish sauce.
3. Sautee for another minute or two.
4. Add rice and sweet rice. Sautee for another minute, just enough for the rice to soak up some of the juice.
5. Add liquid(s).
6. Let it come to a boil, then turn down and simmer until rice is cooked and at desired consistency (it will be thick).
7. Season to taste when it gets thicker. Stir frequently and keep a close eye on it since the rice can stick to the bottom of pan and burn.

NOTES

I have been cooking this a lot lately. It's easy to cook and doesn't take a lot of ingredients. I thought I'd type of the recipe in case I forget how to do it later on.

I like my pieces of chicken cut small, so I cube them up into 1 inch pieces. I also like my arroz caldo thick. You could probably use less sweet rice and more regular rice if you don't want it as thick...and maybe add more water. If I don't have a can of chicken broth, I just use all water and a buillion cube...but the chicken broth makes it taste better in my opinion.

RESULTS

Yummy! (Or else I wouldn't be cooking it so often.)

No comments: