Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Red Velvet Waffle

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups all purpose flour
5 tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoons salt
½ Stick of butter (melt then allow to cool)
2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons red food color
Cream Cheese Butter (Combine Butter, Cream Cheese, and Cinnamon in a bowl.)

DIRECTIONS:

1. Combine the flour, cocoa, sugar, salt, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.

2. In another bowl combine the butter, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla extract, and red food color.

3. Once this is all mixed, slowly add the flour mixture to the wet mixture a few scoops at a time. Use a whisk or a mixer to combine, but do so slowly.

4. Pour batter into heated waffle maker, and cook!

NOTES:

For the cocoa, I used Hershey's unsweetened cocoa. I also made a buttermilk substitute (1 tablespoon of distilled vinegar into a 1 cup measurement, and fill remaining with milk). I didn't make the cream cheese butter.

RESULTS:

Soooo good! They are great as a dessert waffle, but aren't overly sweet. I didn't make the cream cheese butter because I was tired and the waffle was just as good with nothing on them.

This recipe made 5 waffles in my belgian waffle maker. I heated the leftovers in the waffle maker the next day and they're still tasty. I'm actually eating some right now as I type this. Yummy...

http://jgrunsthekitchen.wordpress.com/2010/06/23/red-velvet-waffles/

No comments: